Monday, June 20, 2011

Dougie, Dennis and The Queen


















My friend Dougie Donkey from Scotland puts in a very full day running his farm but he found time to send me a report on an occurance of great interest to me. His friend, Dennis the Horse, who shares the farm with Dougie, went to an event to raise funds for the British Horse Society, of which the Queen is the patron, and who do you think Dennis met? The Queen! Yes, the real one, HRH Elizabeth II. I am literally green with envy - though the woman says it's actually the same sort of algae that grows on sloths...




Dennis not only met the Queen, who graciously hosted the event at her summer place, Balmoral Castle, but she remarked that he looked terribly "keen". Dougie says this is code for somewhat barmy. Dennis's human wrote "Dennis the Menace" on his blanket to give the Queen an idea of the horse within. Dougie is a homebody and chose not to travel the three hundred miles in what he refers to as a tin box on wheels for a few moments of possible glory. I would endure virtually anything for the chance of a word from HRH, even to the extent of being bathed with water (there, I've admitted it in print).




Dougie, thoughtful lad that he is, sent me some photos of the occasion to admire from afar what I could not experience first hand. We are not to say a word to Dennis as Dougie feels his ego is already the size of the Hindenberg.

13 comments:

billie said...

My favorite photo is DOUGIE!!!

Sheaffer, you have done it now. The Woman will be bathing you all the while telling you that HRH is on the way.

Dougie, thank you for sharing all those photos!!

Buddy said...

Hay Sheaffer - holy horse - Dennis met the Queen herself - oh mom is so jealous!

Hope all is well with you and you enjoy your bath that you know you are going to get soon.

Your fren,

BumbleVee said...

Doesn't she look relaxed and cheerful out and about with horses and horse-y people.....


... oh, dear.... yep...you've gone and done it now.... saying it aloud......keep your eyes peeled for buckets and brushes and ...well, ....just keep those eyes peeled is all I'm saying......

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Well - a horse who meets HRH (with major advertising on his blanket) deserves an ego the size of the Hindenburg - don't you think Sheaffer!?

I believe that if herself could arrange such a meeting for you, HRH - being a famously good judge of equine quality - would pronounce you perspicacious ;)

ponymaid said...

billie - Dougie has a striking and distinguished visage, does he not? The Woman says he has extremely handsome ears. He was most generous in sharing these photos - I hope none of this has gotten back to Dennis.

ponymaid said...

Buddy - I live in hope that QE 2 will someday attend my fundraiser...I will inform you ahead of time so you and your woman can plan to attend as well. As to the BATH - I am adhament that I will only have a water bath once I am certain HRH will be attending. Herself says she plans to "surprise" - read ambush - me with one this summer.

ponymaid said...

Vee - my thoughts exactly - HRH looks very happy and relaxed visiting with the equines. Much preferable to sitting on a carved throne with a weighty crown on her head. Actually, I wouldn't mind standing in for her in that role - I like both immobility and large crowns. The bath looms...

ponymaid said...

Calm, Forward, Straight - Dougie may have to rename his friend "Dennis the Zepplin" if his head swells any further. I hesitate to mention it but my family tree holds a long list of donkey champions - I feel sure HRH would see a kindred spirit (not a hirsuite footstool as Herself will have it).

Dougie Donk said...

"Dennis the Zeppelin" was also placed in a beginner's dressage test this week & was last seen floating in the direction of North America..... you have been warned!

Buddy said...

Hay Dougie - I'll keep an eye out for him - hope he shows up here - I want to hear all about the Queen!

your fren,

ponymaid said...

Dougie - oh dear. This is one of those good news, bad news things. We will let you know if any undentified flying objects appear in our skies. Meanwhile, I suggest you take up donkey dressage on the sly so you can dazzle him when he gets too big for his horseshoes.

ponymaid said...

Buddy - maybe Dennis will end up being knighted by HRH... Don't tell Dougie.

Dougie Donk said...

"Donkey dressage on the sly" is thankfully not going to happen.

I am only just 10hh, the woman is too much of a good doer to try and back me and I am eternally grateful that the neighbouring children are more interested in bicycles than equines.

I find the idea of being trailed around the country to show off my superior paces intensely unpleasant. On this front, Dennis is very welcome to inflate his ego. I shall stay home and ponder further on extraterrestrial intelligence....