Thursday, October 28, 2010

Autumn Sneaks In On Little Skunk Feet

We believe the feet were attached to a fully-loaded skunk. We drew that conclusion from the highly fragrant state of our paddock yesterday morning. Evidently they like the idea of approaching winter as much as we donkeys. They're just better at expressing their feelings.

Jack and I have been snacking on a selection of nicely dried leaves but the horses insist on grazing over the spent pasture. They have very little imagination and a woefully primitive palate. Molly did debark a tree but that was in a fit of pique because the Woman was working with Doc. It garnered her some attention, even if it was in the form of bellowed threats.

The foot man came yesterday and thankfully pulled off Molly's steel shoes for the winter. It lessens her stomping ability by about fifty percent which chagrins her to no end. We had our usual hoof trims and although Jack had a passing bout of projectile manure expulsion, this time he missed the foot man's shoes. This caused the foot man to become even more cheerful than usual.

The corn in our front field is being processed by the huge machine, the observing of which is one of my favourite pastimes. Last night was even more exciting. We experienced a "weather event" which I believe to have been a small tornadic activity. There was a tremendous wind which sounded like a train, accompanied by intense rain and then the air pressure and temperature changed instantly and dramatically. We could see the lights on the front of the corn mangling machine and quite suddenly the corn whipped from side to side and then ascended directly up in the air, as if pulled by a violent, unseen hand. It was of great interest for someone who studies weather patterns as avidly as I.

The woman sank to her usual low level, repeating the facile "witticism" she always finds so amusing. "Sheaffer, if we have a tornado, we'll all hide under you and hang onto a leg." Ha. Ha. Ha.

8 comments:

billie said...

Sheaffer, for once our weather patterns are in sync! We too had tornadic activity going on - thankfully not right in our backyard!

There was an avid discussion on the local horse forum about whether to put horses (and donkeys) out during such weather or keep them in.

What is your take on that?

My vet says if the barn is secure and we are home to monitor things, inside is better, as he does far more stitching up of wounds causing by flying debris in such weather than treating injuries sustained by a barn falling down on horses.

Other folks said the horses' instincts serve them best outside where they can find their own safety/shelter.

I believe that, but otoh, how many horses (now or ever) have truly had to learn to dodge metal roofs and such?

Usually when the wind is bad, mine are in, and I am out there with them.

Buddy said...

WOW Sheaffer - you did have some wild weather. We had thunder, lightening and rain a week or so ago - kinda scary - but we all came through it just fine.

Molly debarked a tree - oh what a gal!!

Billie - I don't have a barn to go into - I have a small shade thingy that I rarely use.

Your fren,

ponymaid said...

Billie, I polled the others and all four of us equines would prefer to be in during foul weather, especially that with a tornadic twist. Like yourself, we feel there is far too much flotsam and jetsam and so forth that could become airborne and lethal in an instant. Besides which, we donkeys do not care for rain at all. So, a strong yes vote for inside shelter in the storm.

ponymaid said...

Buddy, how I envy you a climate where you have access to shade relief from the sun and heat in autumn! We had our first snowfall last week and it was a horrifying sight. Molly doesn't care, she is an Alpen Frau. She continues to debark and defoliate whenever it suits her. She feels it focusses the Woman's attention wonderfully...

Buddy said...

SNOW - oh my - it did get down to 25 degrees the night before last - a bit chilly but I have my fuzzy coat to keep me warm. If it gets into the teens - on goes the blanket!

Your fren,

Buddy said...

SNOW - oh my - it did get down to 25 degrees the night before last - a bit chilly but I have my fuzzy coat to keep me warm. If it gets into the teens - on goes the blanket!

Your fren,

ponymaid said...

Buddy, you live in a desert paradise. I sincerely hope you have no need of the blanket any time soon. Have a dust bath for me, my friend.

Buddy said...

Sheaffer - you can count on it my fren. I'll have a special roll in the dirt just for you!

Your fren,