Sunday, February 27, 2011

Book Review - Jane's Transformation, The Magical Pony School

My friend Billie Hinton, human to Rafer Johnson and Redford Donkey is a prolific and accomplished writer/author. She has done me the great honour of asking me to review her lastest novel and I feel confident in saying I am the first donkey in history upon whom this honour has been bestowed.

The novel, Jane's Transformation - The Magical Pony School, is directed at the nine-twelve year age range of human offspring but having said that, it has an appeal that will be felt by any reader. As the tale unfolds we become acquainted with the four main characters, all of whom have come to the school for various personal reasons. Jane, the central character of the four, who is trying to deal with the loss of her father, soon discovers she has the ability to channel (or shapeshift) her form into that of a pony - and that's when the tale really becomes a hoof biter.

Billie has the knowledge of all things horse that allow the book to be more than just another thinly disguised coming-of-age tale. She also draws on her skill with using natural healing agents as well as her uncanny talent of making settings come alive. The winter solstice is pivotal to the tale and I'm told that she plans other books to take place in the other three seasons. Personally, I can't wait.

I must also add that Billie's own equines, Salina, and of course the donkey lads, make an appearance but you'll have to read for yourself to see what role they play.

The book is available at Amazon.com but I suggest you go to
http://www.camera-obscura-billie.blogspot.com and click on the cover of the book for more information. I am told it is a "virtual" book for now but will soon be coming out in a tangible paper variety. I plan on keeping mine with my trophy collection and will resist the urge to use it as a light snack.

6 comments:

billie said...

Sheaffer! Thank you so much. What a lovely review and such an honor coming from you. :) I am going to link to this on all my blogs! And Twitter!

(you probably don't know that today - well, the 29th, actually - is my birthday - this is the best present so far!!)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Thanks for the review, I have the book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Looking forward to it.

ponymaid said...

billie, I hope you had a wonderful birthday. It was a delight reading your book and I look forward to the rest of the series - it transports me out of this icy world in which I am held hostage.

ponymaid said...

Grey Horse, I feel sure you will enjoy your journey through this quite splendid adventure. And thank you for dropping in for a visit!

BumbleVee said...

congratulations on being a Book Reviewer....and congrats to Billie as well! I must go check it out...

Oh, my Sheaffer....all I can say of today is..... be glad you are not here. It is -36C with a wind blowing the snow sideways. I can't imagine how long it will take for the 4 foot deep snow to melt this year..... looks like golf could be postponed til... oh.... probably June...? It's horrible. I myself am thinking of going to Portugal for a few weeks..... truly....

ponymaid said...

Vee, Portugal, eh? Perhaps we could meet up somewhere and travel there together...March has roared in here like a lion, too, you are not alone, my friend. We suffer together. I have not heard of golf - would I enjoy it do you think?