Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Nasty Surprise

We are in the dim and drear dying days of February, which, like Lord Byron, is "nasty, brutish and short". The sun is finally shaking off some of it's torpor and at least now trying to make an occasional appearance. Molly and I must amuse ourselves as best we can - in her case, her need to launder me remains firmly entrenched.

This week we rediscovered the rather delightful sunning spot in the front paddock that is protected by a large wall of cedar. It has been inaccessible for months owing to drifts of snow and sheets of ice. Last week's thaw demolished most of that. Equally delightful is the collection of nicely dried wood rails that make up the paddock fence. We settled in for the afternoon, Molly gnawing on the top rail, self on the bottom. It's astonishing (and most satisfying) just how much wood can be shredded in a short time.

Of course we were noticed by the resident commander of this police state in which we are forced to dwell. She bustled over, tsk tsking all the while. Having examined the damage - I mean our handiwork - she bustled off to the barn. "Good", said Molly, "old bats gone". And she continued using her alarmingly strong and rodent-like Haflinger dentition on the rail thinning project. I wasn't convinced and sure enough, back came Herself, carrying a large black container with some sort of spraying device. The contents were labelled "McNasty". I didn't like the sound of it at all.

She went to work coating the rails with the spray: I sidled over to observe more closely. One whiff of the noxious fumes, let alone the liquid itself, sent me reeling sideways. Herself suddenly spun around and said "Sssssss, sssssss, shhhhhh, shaaaaa", very loudly in my face. I stared at her in utter disbelief. Her face was turning a rich shade of magenta. "SHEAFFER GET OFF MY FOOT", she bellowed. I glanced down. What I had taken to be a lump of ice under my left front hoof was in fact her right foot. A perfectly innocent and honest mistake, in my view. I stepped aside politely but she took the low road, as usual, and was rather short-tempered and peevish for the next while. She limped off to the house, mumbling questionable remarks about those of us with, and I quote, "feet like tiny tent pegs".

So, although our woodworking was cut short, the day was not without it's amusement - and a quite satisfactory and speedy karmic intervention. One takes one's satisfaction where one can find it.

9 comments:

billie said...

Oh my gosh - I have seen that McNasty stuff but never tried it! Sheaffer, what is it about the chewing of wood and bark and various things that is so much fun for equines and so dreaded by us humans? We wrapped a tree trunk yesterday in green plastic chicken fencing as an alternative to wire and why...? To keep the equines from literally chewing the tree to death.

You and Molly need some springtime to take your mind off chewing wood. We have crocuses blooming and I can now see the daffodils beginning to bud. Still no carpenter bees but I did have a robin redbreast couple in the front field today.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Ha! Karma come-around is sweet, (and well deserved), eh Sheaffer?! Glad to hear you've regained your basking spot :)

Buddy said...

HAy Sheaffer - always must more fun at your house. Nothing happening here - 60's in the day 20's in the night - wearing my blankie to keep warm at night. Shedding like a mad man during the day.

Buds on mom's apricot tree - she is thrilled - the other one that I munched on isn't doing so well. Guess I will here her complaining about buying another one.

Stay warm my friend! Give Molly my love!

Your fren,

ponymaid said...

billie, I confess, when I saw the container and the name I assumed it was Herself's personal cologne. I cannot explain the great equine drive to demolish wood. It is simply something that we must do, chicken fencing or not. Our robins are still MIA - they are wisely staying down your way for now.

ponymaid said...

Calm, Forward, Straight - I have never seen such instantaneous results from karma - though I confess I was instrumental in nudging it on. Very satisfactory all in all.

ponymaid said...

Buddy, you managed to sample some apricot tree? Brilliant work, my friend. It sounds like spring is rather more motivated in your area. We are still much entrenched in winter here.

Buddy said...

Hay Sheaffer - remember when I was out of my paddock because of the flooding? Well not only did I try to eat the house - I munched down a baby apricot tree - Its about 3 feet high now instead of 5 feet and two branches about two inches long. A couple of teeny buds but not hopeful. Mom wrapped it where I chewed off the bark with vet wrap - how could she - thats for me not a tree. She still talks to it every day and waters it twice a week - hoping it will come back. I sure hope so - or she is gonna be giving me a talking to - again!

Your fren,

ponymaid said...

Buddy, it sounded delicious while it lasted. I find humans very fussy about shrubbery and trees - I can never figure out if a particular sample is allowed or off limits. Molly's approach is to just loot and pillage anything within reach and suffer the consequences afterwards.

Buddy said...

Thats my girl!

Your fren,